Sat - March 8, 2008
Stephanie & sunflare.
While we were out at the Love Affair workshop, my fabulous new pal Stephanie wanted to have some sweet portraits taken on the beach. So a couple of us trooped through the sand and the wind down to the beach to shoot some shots. Of course, being a fellow photographer, Stephanie knew exactly what she wanted and she made no bones about demanding (DEMANDING!) that we shoot sun flare images....
Just kidding. She just really liked the late afternoon light. So, Miss Stephanie, here's your flare!
p.s. Don't watch for too long or you may become severly dizzy. I am not responsible for anyone who watches too long and tosses their cookies on the keyboard.
Posted at 03:18 PM
Fri - March 7, 2008
A little music, a little photos...coming on April 1st.
My pal, the fabulous and oh-so-incredibly-talented Eric Himan just came out with another rockin' cd -- Resonate. It won't be released until April 1st, but if you like my images (you know you love 'em!) and if you like the song on our website (of course you're crazy about it!), you can be pretty darn sure you'll love this cd... because it's got both of the above! We did the shoot on one of the hottest days in July on the streets of Philadelphia. Despite the sticky conditions, it ended up being such a fun day, and I'm so proud to be part of the final product.
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a few copies of the disc before the rest of the world sees them, so I thought it'd be fun to give you all a little sneak peek! Here are a few shots of the case.... I didn't want to spoil the surprise for you all, so I didn't shoot all of the images. Big kudos to the man Will Boyd for his excellent design work.
If you want to pick up a copy of the disc, mark your calendars for April 1st, and go to http://www.erichiman.com.
Posted at 02:56 PM
Sat - March 1, 2008
my love affair with bald head island
I spent last week out at the Love Affair workshop on Bald Head Island and I'm still amazed at how many amazing photographers I was there with!
This was our view just before the ferry headed out for the island. Not too shabby, right?
The island is pretty small, but it's much too big to walk so the Love Affair crew hooked us all up with golf carts to get around.... There were a few broken cart incidents throughout the week, but nothing a little shoving couldn't fix. Here's the fabulous Anne Ruthmann taking her cart for a walk.
I found this old volleyball net just off of Cape Fear. I love the desolate feeling in this shot.
Kate Harrison lived next door to us in the party house -- here she is rockin' a crazy yoga pose on the beach! Kate and I gave each other invisible manicures on our last night. Tip: Don't ever put lotion all over your hands and then try to polish your nails.
April and I drove out to the market one morning and broke out the camera for an impromptu shoot on the checkout counter before we left.
We all drove out the lighthouse one afternoon for a housemate shoot. Here are Maari, Candi, and Caroline -- all photographers by trade, all models by force (and they did an incredible job, don't you think?).
A few last island shots:
Posted at 12:20 PM
Sun - February 24, 2008
On the road!
For once, my flights actually all departed on time (or close enough....I only had to sprint to one boarding area), and I just arrived in North Carolina Saturday -- I'm here attending a photography workshop on Bald Head Island, and visiting my sister and her family for a few weeks. So if you need to reach me, email is the best option for the next few weeks. I'll do my best to check voicemails, but I have a feeling the cell reception won't be great on the island.
When I walked into the house on Saturday, Alex (my niece) saw my fuzzy winter hat and scarf and just had to see how warm they were.
I'll try to post some shots from the workshop, so check back in the next few days!
Posted at 10:45 AM
Thu - February 14, 2008
Happy Valentine's Day!
I'm a lucky lucky girl. I get to go out for dinner tonight with this guy!:
He's kind of a hunk, no? :)
What will YOU be doing for Valentine's Day?
Posted at 03:52 PM
Tue - January 29, 2008
You absolutely, positively MUST watch One Tree Hill tonight!
Why? Because both my sister Elisa and our friend Hollywood will be starring in tonight's episode! In fact, you may as well go ahead and click right here to hit the One Tree Hill site to see what time and channel it's on in your location.
On a side note, when I was out in Wilmington this past October, we bumped into Chad Michael Murray at a restaurant one night while we were out celebrating Elisa's birthday. What a cutie! And a very sweet guy... Just one more good reason to watch tonight. :)
Pay close attention to the ladies in the bleachers during the basketball scenes in the gym and you may just spot our girls! To help you find them, here are a few headshots I took recently. (This is like a bizarre tv version of Where's Waldo?!)
This is the fabulous Hollywood (aka Michelle). I believe she plays a bartender in the next few episodes as well, so keep your eye out for her!
And my sister Elisa...such a rockstar. Not only is she an excellent actress, she also happens to be an up and coming photographer! She'll be joining me on a bunch of shoots this year and I'm so excited to share her awesome work with you all. I'll be posting some of her shots very soon! (I snagged these shots from an old blog post...please forgive the old logo & frames!)
Make sure you leave us a comment below if you spot them on the show!
Posted at 03:20 PM
Mon - December 24, 2007
Happy Holidays from the island!
Merry Christmas everyone!! I'm blogging from a great little island off of North Carolina. This year we rented a big ol' beach house and my whole family is down here on the ocean for the week relaxing, enjoying the holidays, and watching Elf for the 800th time. :) It is gorgeous and quiet here and the weather has been beautiful so far! This week I'm doing my best to take a break from my MacBook and spend the vacation playing with everyone, but I just had to post a few quick shots from the bike ride today. They have a ton of great rusty old cruisers in the garage that are perfect for a ride on the ocean....
Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!
Posted at 07:17 PM
Tue - December 11, 2007
Christmas every day!
To give you an idea of what's happening behind the scenes here at the studio, I thought I'd show you what a typical afternoon looks like these days. I grabbed a few shots of our daily deliveries this afternoon. It's like Christmas here every day! Except...all of the presents are for my clients. I guess that makes me Santa!
Sully volunteered to hunker down beside today's delivery from our very kind (and clearly very hard-working) UPS man to give you all an idea of the scale....but then she got oh....so....tired.
The boxes are all filled with custom holiday card orders and enlargements to be sent out to clients. We're very busy!
Today we got one very fun extra delivery. Yahooo! Check it out....
Doesn't our tree look pretty in the background? I think I went a little overboard with the lights. You can hardly even see the tree behind all those twinkly bulbs!
p.s. I have to give a shout out to my pal Phillip at AT&T who spent a good hour an a half on the phone with me today while we got everything all set up. (Please note: An hour and a half is WAYYYYY longer than it normally takes to activate an iPhone.... we just got kind of carried away chatting.) Thanks Phillip!
Posted at 03:44 PM
Wed - October 10, 2007
October traveling & holiday card samples!
I'm going to be a travelin' machine this month! Thought it would be fun to post my calendar so you know where I'm at.... I still have a few time slots left this Saturday for portraits in western Mass and at the end of the month in Wilmington, North Carolina. Email us if you're interested in scheduling a session!
Sat., Oct. 6: West Chester, PA: Amy & George's wedding
Sun., Oct. 7: Harrisburg, PA: Portrait session
Fri., Oct. 12: Boston, MA: Christine & Mark's couple session, client meetings
Sat., Oct. 13: Western MA: portrait sessions
Sun., Oct. 14: Natick, MA: portrait sessions
Mon., Oct. 15: MA: portrait sessions
Tues., Oct. 16: MA: portrait sessions
Sat., Oct. 20: Nanticoke, MD: Michelle & Paul's wedding
Sun., Oct. 21: Philadelphia, PA: Christy & Jarrett's engagement session
Thurs., Oct. 25: traveling
Fri.-Thurs., 10/26-11/1: Wilmington, NC: portrait sessions
By the way, we just got our custom holiday card designs finished up, and they are fab-U-lous! We have a ton of designs -- both horizontal and vertical, and in all kinds of colors! I'll be posting them in a gallery next week, but until then, here's a little sample. Each and every one of our designs is customizable -- add your names or a sweet message & your holiday cards are done!
p.s. My traveling schedule this month is pretty crazy, so if I'm a little slow in getting back to emails right now -- please be patient. I'll do my best to respond as quickly as possible while I'm on the road!
Posted at 06:06 AM
Mon - October 1, 2007
Thu - September 27, 2007
decisions, decisions....help us pick!
Hey blog pals! Okay.... I need your help. After lots of discussions, we've decided it's time to retire our little gas-efficient mini-SUV and pick up a fun new ride! Jed and I have been back and forth to the Toyota dealership and test driving like crazy over the past week....and for some reason, I just can't make up my mind!! So I'm asking for your input.....Please please help me out and pop your vote in the box below! Right now we're loving the Highlander and the 4Runner....both Toyotas. But...if you know of another good ride in the same price range, we're open to other ideas, too! (Note: It's gotta be Sully-friendly....either an SUV or a nice hatchback. No muddy puppy paws in the backseat!)
Here's the scoop on the two we're looking at:
1. Gets a little better gas mileage (like 1 mpg better. But hey, better is better.)
2. It's a cushier ride for those long road trips.
3. It's not ginormous (i.e. parallel parking in Center City or Cambridge is actually doable)
1. It's tough! And better in the snow.
2. Better ground clearance for towing/launching our boat
3. Holds its value a little better over time
Thanks for the help! I'll let you know as soon as we decide!
Posted at 02:55 PM
Fri - September 7, 2007
I'm it! The blog tag game.
I got hit.
At first I thought maybe I could quietly get away without posting this one, but then I got hit again. And I realized it was either post or get hit by everyone for the next 3 months. :) So here's the scoop: this is a chain blog, and you have to list 8 interesting facts about yourself, then tag 5 other photographers Like I said, I've been tagged twice now -- once by Sara from Whitebox Weddings and once by Michael (with his excellent 80's rock hair!!!) Juliano of Moments by Michael. I've dragged my feet way too long on posting this, so before I get hit again, here goes!
8 little old facts about moi:
1. I am a knee driver. My dad taught this technique to me & my sisters when we were learning to drive. It was to be employed for *emergency use only* (i.e., if you were to come across a situation where you were suddenly unable to use your hands to steer the car.) Much to my husband's horror, I knee drive ALL THE TIME. In fact, I'm terribly good at it. I can even make turns. It comes in very handy while eating two-handed snacks (like a double quarter pounder for instance, which is another one of my bad road habits).
2. I have an unreasonably passionate disgust for anything and everything orange. The taste, the color....but worst of all....the smell. If you peel an orange near me, I'm likely to get a little angry.
3. For a period of about 6 months of my freshman year in college, I worked as a Penn State security guard. I was required to wear a police uniform. You know those little white gloves they wear when directing traffic? Had those. The bright orange rain coat? Wore that. And of course, the ultimate cop accessory -- you know it....the little geometric cap. I wish I had a photo because I'm sure it looked ridiculous. BUT...it was worth every ounce of humiliation during football season. While all of the other freshman were up in their nosebleed spot in the stands, I was down on the field in Beaver Stadium. Standing next to JoePa and the entire team. I can only imagine how reassured they were by my ability to offer them protection should something go wrong....
4. I love adventures. I've been skydiving, parasailing, rock climbing, whitewater rafting (3 times, only fell out of the boat once), cliff jumping, swung (and dropped) from a 30 foot high rope swing in Hawaii, and skiied above cloud level in Utah. I used to do a lot of mountain biking, and if I didn't come home with a serious collection of bumps, cuts, and bruises, it wasn't a good ride. But I also love the everyday unexpected adventures with Jed... like chopping and stacking wood in the summer & fall, shoveling (I know, crazy, right?), going on a random drive together. We like working together, and always have. I dug up this shot of us in his parents' garage in college just after we had finished building a loft for my dorm room. We were so proud, and had a blast the whole day. :) That was 11 years ago, and we still love doing projects together!
5. I have terrible balance when I'm walking slowly or standing still. I am always bumping into walls/tables/people and apologizing... or falling/tipping over for no apparent reason. All attempts at yoga end in disaster.
6. I shovel manure in my free time.....and I really enjoy it. My horse follows me around the pasture while I work. He has a big personality and I'm kind of fascinated by him. Sometimes he steals my shovel. He'll grab it with his teeth and shake his head up and down. Sometimes he'll bite onto part of the wheelbarrow and try to tip it over. Recently, he has discovered the beauty of pulling on my shoelaces. In the winter, we play tag almost every day. Once in a while we bicker about silly things, such as where and where not to place hooves, why it's not okay to whap me in the face with his tail, and who is the boss of whom. Sometimes I'll educate him on the finer points in life (i.e., the dog is not a toy, snow is not considered food, I am not a treat machine, and our favorite ongoing debate -- I am not a rodeo cowgirl when it's windy outside). I'm sure we look like part of a circus act running around together. Also, when no one is around, I sing to him. I'm a terrible singer, but for some reason, he seems to love it. Occasionally, we bond over lifesavers. He likes cherry best.
7. I love cooking and baking, and I take my time at both of them. They're kind of luxurious activities for me. If I'm planning on making something, even something really simple, I have to set aside a good 2-3 hours -- minimum. What's the rush? I'll drink a glass of wine and make a big mess and occasionally stop to dance with my dog. For some reason, Jed and I always have interesting and inspiring conversations when I'm cooking (he hates cooking, but he's a great stirrer/chopper/kitchen companion). It's something I look forward to. :)
8. I had a VERY short-lived stint as a model when I was a kid. Are you ready? Check out my comp card for a good laugh. HA!
Okay.....I'm terrible at chain letters!!! I never EVER pass them on like you're supposed to, but I'll make an exception on this one. I have to tag 5 others, so I figured I'd hit up a few new photographers I've recently chatted with. The next victims:
One of my old pals:
And someone I've never ever met, but I just found her site and I think her images are just the purtiest!
Have fun guys!
Posted at 12:32 PM
Tue - August 28, 2007
Hello hello everyone! We just returned home late last night from our absolutely incredible whirlwind trip through Europe and I wanted to let you know that I will be busy answering all of your calls and emails over the next few days. Thank you thank you to everyone who left so many nice messages, comments, and notes while we were gone!! It was fun (and a tiny bit overwhelming!) to open up my email this morning to SOOOOO many messages -- I'm going to do my best to return them all as quickly as possible.
Thought I'd post a few quickie shots from the trip for you all to enjoy while I'm busy typing and dialing. :) I'll try to post more in a few days, and of course, some shots from Patricia and Mike's wedding in Oberammergau, Germany!
First, St. Basil's in Red Square all lit up like a little postcard.....
Some mid-day sunshine in the Kremlin in Izmailovo (on the outskirts of Moscow).
A shot from inside the monastery at Sergeiv Posad, about an hour and a half outside of Moscow:
I have to send out a huge thanks to our fantastic private guide and driver in Moscow - Arthur Lookyanov. If you ever find yourself on your way to Moscow, you should definitely give Arthur a call. He's a great guy, incredibly knowledgeable, fun to tour with, AND (surprise, surprise) he loves photography. We got along very well. :) In addition to running all over Moscow with Jed and me, Arthur hooked us up with awesome 3rd row seats to the Moscow circus, and special photography passes so I could shoot all over Moscow. What more can you ask for?
The round tower in Copenhagen, Denmark, shot about 30 seconds before it started pouring:
Of course we couldn't take a trip somewhere without stopping to check out the local fire stations..... (Jed's a firefighter, and he's a little obsessed.) This time we weazled our way into a crazy ride on Esbjerg's 90 meter ladder! It was a windy day so we were only able to go up a third of the way, but it was still frighteningly high....
Fire hoses hanging out to dry in the tower....
And a little scenery from our hike in Oberammergau, Germany.....
More shots to come! p.s. Thanks to all my loyal Euro-stalkers! It seems the Jauntlet map was a big hit!
Posted at 04:49 PM
Thu - August 9, 2007
Be my Eurostalker....you know you want to!
On my list of things to do today, this one is titled "byebye blog".....
I'm just finally starting to pack (things have been too crazy around here!) and I'll be heading out to Newark tomorrow morning for the big ol' plane ride. For those of you who don't know, I'm off to Europe for a few weeks to do some personal shooting, lots of visiting, lots of eating, and then a little more shooting -- at Patricia and Michael's wedding in Germany. Yahoo!! I'm so excited. While I usually strap my laptop and phone along for the ride, I've decided to take this trip as a much-needed break from those items. But don't worry! I'll be sure to return all of your messages when I get back into the studio at the end of the month (please allow a little time as I'm sure my mailbox will be overflowing).
In the meantime, I thought I'd entertain you all with a little Eurostalking game! I made this fun little map of all the spots I'm hitting on my trip at jauntlet.com -- when you click "next" above the map, it zooms you over to my next destination and tells you the dates I'll be there! It's pretty cool.....come check out my adventure!
Annnnnnndddddd of course, I wouldn't leave without posting a fun shot! This one's from the archives of my very own photo album.... :)
That's me at 11 years old, standing in a guard booth somewhere in Europe. I think maybe it was Sweden, but I could be wrong. Check out the very fashionable extreme-pegging of the pants, paired nicely with rubber boots (in my defense, it was a very rainy trip.) I was pretending to be one of the guards...I'm sure they found that very amusing. (If I find another booth on this trip I'll definitely have to re-create the shot!) Anyway, on to the main point.....see that brown strappy thing I'm wearing? It's a camera. My mom's camera, actually -- she bought it in Germany when she was just out of school. Yep, the photo bug runs in the family! Even way back then I was a little image adventurer!
Have fun everyone! I'll have lots of blogging to do when I get back at the end of August, so stay tuned!
p.s. My sisters are going to see keith urban together while I'm gone and I am SOOOOOooooo jealous that I'll be missing the annual outing!! S&E: Give my love to Keithy! (Remember that time when we waited out back to try to con him into going out with us? HA! We were so crazy....last year.) :)
Posted at 10:54 PM
Wed - August 1, 2007
Something looks different around here......
Hey friends! I just wanted to let you all know about some VERY exciting things happening here at TLP! (Don't worry, they're all good.)
I'll get right to the point. Here's the short but FASCINATING *Mega-List-Of-Changes*!
1. The new galleries have arrived!!
We FINALLY launched our brand new client galleries!! Yahoooo! Thanks to the incredible design and technical talents of my new favorite people Troy & Rebecca Widner, we now have the most rockin' integrated gallery system in the world! Seriously, it's incredible. Click here and type in the password "gallagher" to check out Eamon & Erika's full gallery from their wedding a few weeks ago! AND...one of the best parts is that we can now offer you an awesome way to get the photography you're loving for your big day even if it's a little over your budget -- with our gift registry capability! Too cool. For more info on the gift registry (and all of our photography collections), shoot us a note!
2. Who's THAT chick?
You may have been asking yourself....Who's that chick over on the left and what happened to the photo of you? Don't worry -- it's still ME! Really. It is. I chopped all my hair off yesterday and thought it was time for a new photo. So....we cranked up the studio with a little "I'm Shakin" by Rooney -- 3.34 minutes and a little photo dancing later, I had some kickin' new headshots. Want to see the others? Check below! (My new haircut is a big fan of cross-processing run over Kubota's New B&W with a little Boutwell TRA luma twist. And if you didn't understand that last sentence, it probably just means you're not a photographer. Or perhaps you need more coffee. One or the other.) :)
3. I spy something blue....
It's my blog sidebars! I've been playing around with the colors a bit.....can't help it! I love changes. :) Anyway, if you're digging the new look (or if you're not!), leave a comment below and let me know what you think!
4. What was all that racket???
There's no denying it -- we're guilty of the worst crime....construction noise!! Last night, my little carpenter Jed was up until the middle of the night installing new hardwood floors in the studio. He wanted to get it all done in one day so that it wouldn't interrupt things too much.....(How wonderful is he??!!) and he actually did it! Yahoo! Also, the noise is now over. Yahoo again!
5. Get your leiderhosen out....
....I'm heading to Germany! At the end of next week I'm taking off for a few weeks to do some shooting in Russia and Denmark and finishing off the trip just south of Munich where I'll be shooting Patricia & Mike's wedding! It's going to be a whirlwind ride so I can't make any promises that I'll have regular access to email, but I'll do my best to get back to everyone whenever I can get ahold of a solid internet connection. If you don't hear from me for a few weeks, don't panic! I'll definitely get back to all of your emails and calls when I get back in the studio at the end of the month.
Next up: Jessica & Brian's wedding blog....stay tuned!
Hope you're all doing well and enjoying this gorgeous summer!
Posted at 07:13 PM Read More